Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Abnormal signal changes in a MRI of the leg

Abnormal signal changes in a MRI of the leg

Patient: Could you help me understand what my MRI results mean? ” There is minimal effusion of the right knee joint. There are abnormal signal changes in the upper central gastrocnemius muscle, with the apperance of focal muscle atrophy and low grade chronic inflammation.” what could this be? I have extreme pain in leg and knee and each doctor I see tells me nothing then refers me to another doctor. Help? I am a 33 year old female. not overweight. 5’4″ and 130lbs

Doctor: In the view of your history of angiolipomas in the leg, those findings described in the MRI report can be due to presenc e of fat in the muscle, and might have no significance, or may be scar tissue after the operation that you described, but on the other hand you said that you are having also severe pain in the leg and knee, can you relate that pain to an intense or repetitive physical activity? , sometimes the scar tissue in the area may cause retractions that can be painful when you use those muscles and need to be stretched.