Abnormal uterine bleeding

Patient : "My girlfriend is bleeding but says its not period bleeding. She has thrown up twice today. She has pain in her pelvic area and her lower back. She doesn't have health insurance yet and wont go to the doctor."
Symptoms:  throwing up, bleeding
Doctor :   It is very right of you to worry about your girl friend's condition. Abnormal uterine bleeding should not be ignored and it would be prudent to seek medical help immediately. There is a possibility that your girl friend is pregnant. Throwing up or morning sickness is a normal symptom of pregnancy. You could suggest she use the home pregnancy test to find out whether she is pregnant or not. In case of a pregnancy, light bleeding also known as implantation bleeding, lasting for 2-3days is normal. However if the bleeding gets heavier or if her pelvic pain gets more severe you must immediately call for medical help as these may be signs of a more serious condition. In case the home pregnancy test is negative, she may be having an irregular menstrual pattern. It would be advisable to consult with a gynaecologist for a thorough evaluation and a discussion on various reasons for irregular periods.