Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Abortion needed after taking herbs

Abortion needed after taking herbs

Patient: For the past three days I have been taking black hosh, cinnamon, and vitamin c as recommended by a friend for emergency birth control. I took a test today and it say that I am pregnant. If I stop taking the herbs today will the baby be okay?

Symptoms: Diarreah, light stomach cramps

Doctor: Hi,Thanks for the query.I understand your concern.Block hosh, cinnamon etc are said to induce uterine contracti ons when used during pregnancy.But they are not approved drugs to induce abortion.These may not affect the baby if you have taken smaller amounts, but to be on safe side, if you want to continue your pregnancy, have regular antenatal checkups and ultrasound examinations.Ultrasound at 11 weeks and TIFFA (Targeted imaging for fetal anomalies) at around 20 weeks are mandatory to rule out any possible anomalies.Take care.