Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > About a week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex

About a week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex

Patient: About a week ago my boyfriend and I had unprotected sex. I’m wondering how likely it is that I may be pregnant. He was constantly pulling out (his p***s wasn’t very erect) and I was fairly dry down there. Neither of us ejaculated, but I’m aware that semen is sometimes present in precum (if there was any). It was both of our first time. How likely is it that I’m pregnant?? (Supposed to have my period in about 2 weeks)

Doctor: Thank you for writing to ATD.Precum cannot usually get a woman pregnant. Instances of precum leading to pregnancy ha ve been reported but never been properly verified. For all practical purposes, without an ejaculation of semen into the vagina, pregnancy is difficult if not impossible.Withdrawing before ejaculation is definitely not a reliable method of contraception neither is it a pleasurable option. Using condoms, vaginal diaphragms, spermicidal jellies are good alternative options that are more reliable.To avoid such distress in the future, I strongly urge you to use protection or any other form of birth control regularly. Visit a family planning clinic or a contraception counselor and discuss the benefits and use of contraception especially emergency contraceptive or morning after pills. Armed with the proper knowledge, I am sure you will be able to avoid anxious moments in the future.Hope this helps.