About four months ago, a small mole I have had

Patient

Q: About four months ago, a small mole I have had my entire life bled once. The amount was so slight that I didn't even notice it while it was bleeding. I just noticed the dried blood later. I washed it off, and it didn't bleed again. It formed a very small scab, which healed and fell off in a matter of days. Definitely less than a week. This left a small, about the size of a sharpened pencil tip, black dot in the mole. It hasn't noticeably changed over the last four months. I don't remember having traumatized the mole, but I guess it's possible I didn't notice.

The mole did not experience any other changes before the bleeding and has not experienced any after. It has not bled again, and it does not itch. The size, shape, firmness and color (other than the tiny black dot) have remained constant. To make sure I didn't just overlook any changes, I compared my mole to pictures that are several years old. It seems to be the same.

I never thought to mention this to my dermatologist because I was under the impression that melanoma only caused bleeding in the late stages of the disease, when there were sure to have been other noticeable changes first. As time went on and the mole didn't bleed again or change size/color/shape, I become more convinced it wasn't anything to worry about. Surely, melanoma would show more signs than one-time bleeding and a tiny black dot, right?

Then I read one of those scare-you-straight stories about someone who died from advanced melanoma after ignoring "slight bleeding in a mole present since childhood" and almost lost my mind. I have an appointment for my dermatologist to check it out next week, but I guess I'm just looking for reassurance until then.

A melanoma would typically present more than just one-time bleeding and a tiny black dot, right? Especially before becoming invasive and advanced?

Thank you for your time!

Doctor

Thanks for your query on ATD.
I have gone through your question.
A mole should not bleed itself without an injury. I am happy that you are so vigilant.
Although the lesion is now asymptomatic & appear harmless it will be better if you get yourself examined by a surgeon. If necessary get it excised & biopsy done, post me follow up with the reports.
Please post the image of the mode in the follow up.

I hope you got me.