About three months ago I got horrible diarrhea and thought

Patient

Q: About three months ago I got horrible diarrhea and thought it was food poisoning. The diarrhea continued for about 5 days so I went to a doctor that gave me antibiotics for what she thought was a bacterial infection. A few weeks later I started having a dull pain on the upper right side of my abdomen, went to the doctor again, where I tested positive for a bladder infection but they also tested for gallstones, kidney stones and also had a hida scan.. Everything was normal. The pain seemed to move up to my sternum and chest and I then was diagnosed with costochondritis. The pain in my chest subsided after a few weeks but the abdomen pain came back. Went back to the doctor and tested positive for another bladder infection. After finishing my antibiotics a little over a week ago the pain is back, which I think is caused by the again returned bladder infection. Why do they keep coming back and are there underlying problems or conditions that cause this to happen?

Symptoms:  Abdominal pain right side
Doctor

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. I understand your concern.

It seems you are suffering from Urinary tract infection, and any Urinary Tract Infection (UTI) needs evaluation of the cause, so that you don't get the repeat episodes.
The most common causes of Recurrent UTI are Diabetes, Stones in renal tract and Sexually transmitted. You need to get an Ultrasound Abdomen and Urine culture.
Get your fasting blood sugar tested to rule out diabetes.
No antibiotics should be started before giving a sample of urine culture, otherwise the report can be affected. If any stone is found you would be treated based on size, site of stone.
If Urine infection is found you would be given antibiotics based on culture report.
If you have any ongoing fever, you doctor would take your urine for culture and sensitivity and will start you on antibiotics that would be modified based on the culture report.
You should drink plenty of water.
Share my opinion with your doctor.

Stay Healthy.