Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Abruptly stopped my birth control intake

Abruptly stopped my birth control intake

Patient: I was on birth control for a week but then just stopped taking it is that bad?

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for the query.If you were on birth control for the cause of contraceptive cover, then you should not ha ve abruptly discontinued. Remember even if a single pill is missed, the effectiveness of contraception comes down. The pill needs to be taken regularly, apart from the pill-free week before the cycles. Also on abruptly discontinuing them, the menstrual cycles will get affected, there may be heavy bleeding, spotting or even irregular pattern in the bleeding.Consider seeing a gynecologist help you with the dosage and starting them again. If you are planning to conceive, then you may stop them and plan aheadHope this helpedRegards