Acai Berries - are they too good to be true?

Q: After doing some research online, I am considering buying acai berry supplements to compliment a healthy diet to help me lose weight. I am cautious as I have never taken dieting supplements before and the stories I have read seem too good to be true. Are there any serious or in fact any not so serious side effects from taking this supplement?

A:   There are a lot of acai berry supplements in the market, some containing other herbs and substances with laxative properties to the Acai that are supposed to help with the “Colon Cleanse”. As I always say, “try, explore and decide” what works the best for you. Every time that you decide to try some of these herbal remedies, please make sure you read the label and see if you are not allergic to some of the components in those pills. Limited research has been carried out on the Acai berry, juice or capsules. The therapeutic daily dosage of anthocyanins, and other flavonoids from other sources, ranges from 200 to 1500mg daily. This dose may be extrapolated to Acai berry extracts. So, roughly, we would say: Acai capsules: take up to four 500mgs capsules daily with water. Acai liquid: 2 tablespoons of acai extract daily. Acai tea: 1-2 tea cups daily. And once more: no diet works without a balance nutritional regime, discipline and exercise.