Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Accident Problem at an Older Age

Accident Problem at an Older Age

Patient: My boyfriend has a bladder problem. He’s been having accidents for as long as he can remember, and he’s already 19. He says he doesn’t know for sure when it became more frequent. He already consulted with a doctor, who said that he should just wait until it gets better. But I’ve read online that that really doesn’t work. In the meanwhile, he’s been wearing protection in bed, since it’s mostly common when he is asleep. But lately, it’s been happening when he is awake, although they’re fairly small; still, it’s worrisome. Is this some problem that can be alleviated? Please help, I can’t think of anything else, and it’s very demoralizing for him to try to fix something he doesn’t even know how it began. Thank you so much.

Symptoms: Sleep, problem

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Nocturnal enuresis (bed wetting at night) is quite a rare phenomenon at this age. There are some steps he can take to reduce the risk of accidents. First he can avoid drinking any liquids about 2 hours prior to bed. Right before getting into bed, he should go to the washroom and try to urinate, emptying his bladder. Stimulants like caffeine containing drinks such as coffee, soda, or tea can increase the need to urinate, so he should avoid these as well. It would also be appropriate for your partner to consult a Urologist to have a full genito-urinary examination and testing to determine if the cause of his bed wetting is due to incontinence of the bladder. This requires further testing to arrive at the appropriate diagnosis. Please be guided accordingly.Thank you for consulting AskTheDoctor.com