Accidental impregnation

Patient

Q: I am a 55 year old male, i had intercourse with my 38 year old girlfriend three times within a twelve hour period. i used a condom the first two times and had an ejaculation. during the third time i bat i did not use a condom nor did i ejaculate, what is the likelihood that i may have impregnated her?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your question. After ejaculation there my be semen left within the penile urethra which can remain viable for hours. If you had unprotected sex with your partner, it is possible , though rare, for her to become impregnated. We recommend that she consult her physician to determine when it will be appropriate for her to take a pregnancy test. She can await her monthly menstrual period, and if it is late or missed, we encourage her to go to her doctor to have a pregnancy test conducted.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com