Accidental Neck/throat blunt injury

Patient: I was headbutted accidentally right in my neck/throat hours ago. When I was able to stop coughing enough to tell my kids to go in the house. It was painful to talk or swallow. I did have a headache and wasn’t able to use a pillow, but that’s gone now. But the area is still swollen and sore. What should my next step be?

Doctor: While i doubt you have any significant injuries, I strongly urge you to see a doctor for an examination. There are many important structures within the neck such as the esophagus, trachea, blood vessels and the thyroid gland. All these structures may be potential damaged when a neck injury is sustained, you should see your doctor for a thorough workup including the appropriate imaging studies such as an ultrasound or a CT scan of the injured area. Please do not delay!