Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > According to our blood type, can we procreate?

According to our blood type, can we procreate?

Patient: Since my boyfriend and I are cousins, we are beginning to look at any risks involved in having a baby in the future. If his blood type is O and my blood type is A, are we considered compatible to procreate? We are both Rh positive.

Doctor: Thank you for your query.When the couple are, both Rh positive & with blood groups O, A, or B then there will not be any issues with compatibility to procreate. On the otherhand if one of the partner is Rh positive & the other is Rh negative then there can be problems. But even in those instances with appropriate care & precautions & medical aid these problems can be overcome. But since you both are cousins there could be problems in the children born or immunological problems in achieving a pregnancy or problems in gestating the pregnancy to term. The reasons being since your couple share the same genetic pool there could be more chances for your children to inherit any diseases or traits running in your family. There could be more probabilities for the offspring born of consanguineous marriages to inherit & become prone to recessive diseases also. It always does not happen so that the children are affected but the probabilities are more for the children born of consanguineous marriages.Hope that answers your queries. Have a good day