Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Accutane and Birth Control

Accutane and Birth Control

Patient: I am going to be taking the acne medicine, accutane. I am a girl and had to wait a month before starting accutane to make sure I wasn’t pregnant, (I haven’t started taking the medicine either currently,) and I think I want to take birth control instead of abstinence. Can I still take birth control even though I have already started the first month, but haven’t actually taken accutane?

Symptoms: Nothing

Doctor: Hello,The use of birth control pills with actuate is not advised as it reduces the efficacy of the pills during the c ourse and may cause accidental pregnancy if sexual activity is continued. Hence barrier contraception is the best for of contraception to be used with actuate use.I hope i have answered your query in detail,wishing you good health,regards