Accutane and safe period before pregnancy

Patient

Q: My child is on accutane, and will be completing her medication soon. I know that you should wait one month before getting pregnant. My question is how long does the medication accutane stay in one's system? Is one month long enough to not worry about getting pregnant? Thank you.

Doctor

A:   Yes, the recommended time to become pregnant after going off Isotretinoin or Accutane is at least 1 month.  Research studies have shown that this is the minimum time needed for the body to clear the medication and avoid possible fetal defects.
Certainly a child bearing potential patient taking this medication MUST take contraceptives to avoid this. I hope I cleared your doubt.