Ask The Doctor > Knee Injuries > Why is my knee still stiff 2 months post injury and rehab?

Why is my knee still stiff 2 months post injury and rehab?

Patient: About 2 months ago I stretched the cross ligaments in my knee. I was in a brace for 3 weeks and on crutches for 4 weeks. I also saw a physiotherapist. Lately it has been painful to walk if I sit for a while and it is also stiff. Last week I bent down to pull out a plug and my knee gave way from under me. Yesterday I got up from my chair and my knee felt like it got stuck and then 2 ragged pieces being moved over each other. After that it was sore when I walked and stiff. It is also sore and stiff when I get up I the mornings and becomes uncomfortable if I stand for a while. Should I just be patient and wait or go see someone?

Doctor: Sometimes when an ACL injury occurs it associates with a menisci lesion, this might be your case, acute knee pain after an injury and related symptoms may be caused by damage to one or more of the soft tissue structures that stabilize and cushion the knee joint (ligaments, muscles, tendons, and menisci). Meniscal injuries are a common problem in sports and in young active individuals; they are the most frequent injury to the knee joint. The menisci are C -shaped fibrocartilaginous structures attached to the tibia and their main functions to enhance the contact between the two articular surfaces of the knee: femur and tibia ones. The thick outline of menisci allows for a firm attachment to the joint capsule. A reliable indicator of meniscal lesion is a click or snaps after the joint unlocks, it can be or not associated with pain. A sensation of giving way may occur when the loose fragment becomes lodged for a moment in the knee joint, causing a sense of buckling. This finding should be distinguished from the sensation of giving way due to joint instability (e.g., ACL tear) or buckling secondary to decreased activity of the quadriceps femoris muscle.Spontaneous healing is common because of the rich blood supply in the meniscal periphery. Successful recovery from a meniscal tear is helped by a gradual resolution of symptoms over 6 weeks with a return to normal activity by 3 months. Many meniscal tears heal spontaneously. Also, can be treated with casting depending of the severity of the tear. With time the symptoms improve. If there is no significative improvement you should get a clinical (orthopedic surgeon) and Imaging (MRI) evaluation of your knee.