Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Active softball pitcher.

Active softball pitcher.

Patient: Im 16 and i play high school fastpitch softball im a shortstop and pitcher and i pitch more than one game a day im the only pitcher my team has my mom thinks my arm isnt going to hold out what do you think?

Doctor: There is a very well described entity in the medical literature called: Overuse Syndrome, which can affect any part of the body that is over stressed with movements or activities in a repetitive way, including occupational, recreational, and habitual activities. Repetition is part of the definition of overuse injury. The concept is that overuse injury is associated with repeated challenge without sufficient recovery time, and this is true for Body Building, Running, Jogging or any other sport or activity in which you exceed the guidelines and your own limits or capacities. So, try not to exceed your own limits and if you begin to feel pain and/or discomfort in your arm, listen to your body, in this way you will be avoiding possible overuse injuries.