Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Acure Rotator Cuff injury after repetitive throwing

Acure Rotator Cuff injury after repetitive throwing

Patient: My Girlfriend was pitching in a softball game when her shoulder popped and sent sharp pain down her right arm. She finished pitching the inning but her shoulder popped every pitch. She was taken out of the game after the inning but can not raise her arm with out it hurting really bad. What may have happened? And what can we do for it besides Ice?

Doctor: Most likely your girlfriend had an acute episode of Rotator Cuff Injury The rotator cuff is a group of tendons that supp ort the shoulder. These tendons can be injured during weight lifting, when playing sports with a lot of throwing, as the case of your girlfriend. Conservative treatment of the Rotator Cuff injuries involves: physical therapy to control pain and keep range of motion of the shoulder, rest, ice, avoidance of painful movements and activities; anti-inflammatory medications (i.e.: “Advil”, “Aleve”). If there is poor or no improvement, I strongly recommend the evaluation by a specialist (sports medicine or Orthopedic Surgeon).