Acute Allergic reaction due to insect bite

Patient : I was stung by an unknown insect yesterday swelling redness and wheezing were persistent (common with my history of asthma) this morning the swelling had gotten much worse (the sting is on my forearm about 2 inches from my elbow) and I am having bad pain in my thumb, wrist, elbow and shoulder joints, should I see a doctor about this?
Doctor :     In the view that you have previous history of asthma and the symptoms are escalating, I strongly recommend you to go ASAP to the ER. Possibly you may have a severe allergic reaction called Anaphylaxis, if you are having now: difficult to breath; the hives are spreading beyond the sting, swelling of the face, throat, wheezing, difficulty to swallow, rapid pulse, dizziness or a drop in the blood pressure, get emergency treatment as soon as possible.

Related Q&A

Q: I was in vacation and 4 days into the trip I developed a itchy feeling all over my body. I have no bite marks however...

Q: I got a test ige immunoglobulin serum test . The value cams 520 ? What does this mean . I am a 30 years old mum .

Q: My friend took alegra and tussin and speed and now he says he is having a hard time breathing and stayingawake

Q: Hello, I had my nose pierced about 4 weeks ago. I thought I was starting to get an infection but it turned out to be...

Q: I really want a cat but suffer with allergies. Is there any way I can live with one and control the allergy


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon