A.D.D. or depression

Patient: How can I tell if I have depression on top of my already diagnosed A.D.D. or if I’ve just tell my A.D.D. get to out of control.?

Symptoms: Sleep chance, anger, hopelessness, lack of concentration (more than normal), acting out if anger or sad fits, always tired snd only feel happy when someone our something triggers it other wise I feel sad, mad, or empty.

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Depression is many a times associated with ADD and they need to be treated independently. Your symptom of hopelessness and feeling empty, anger fits are generally not a symptom of ADD. It suggests that you need to take treatment separately for depression as well along with ADD.The options available are bupropion, venlafaxine, desvenlafaxine, fluoxetine, escitalopram etc. You need to take these treatments for 6-8 months and the response is mostly evident in 3-4 weeks. Do discuss these options with your treating doctor.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!