Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Adenomyosis and swelling of the lower abdomen

Adenomyosis and swelling of the lower abdomen

Patient: I have adenomyosis. Currently my lower abdomen over my uterus looks approximately 4 or 5 months pregnant and my lower abdomen is hard to the touch. Past couple of days I also have had bad uterine cramping. I this normal??

Doctor: Adenomyosis is a condition in which the tissue lining the uterus grows into the muscular walls of the uterus. The cause of adenomyosis remains unknown, but the disease typically disappears after menopause. Most women with adenomyosis experience heavy or prolonged menstrual bleeding, severe abdominal cramping and bleeding in between periods. You may also notice that the uterus double or triple its normal size and that your lower abdomen seems bigger or feels tender. If these symptoms interfere with your day to day activities you may require anti-inflammatory medication or hormonal contraceptives which may provide relief.