ADHD and Use of Steroids

Patient

Q: Hi i have just found out my son is taking steroids. he is adhd on 1x ritalin 40mg slow release a day. Are there any side effects that the 2 drugs could react and cause? What are the side effects of performace enchancing steroid use?

Doctor

A:   Ritalin used for the treatment of ADHD, it has a calming and “focusing” effect on individuals with ADHD. Apart from the therapeutic effects, it has also been abused as a performance enhancing drug because the drug suppresses appetite (to facilitate weight loss), increase wakefulness, and increase focus and attention during performance. When this class of stimulant drug is used with anabolic steroids, they further act to enhance the performance, but the effects are short lived, for may be a year after which the body develops tolerance towards these drugs.  The use of these drugs has short term risks as well as some significant long term side effects, and also legal implications. Anabolic steroids abuse can result in irritability, manic episodes, uncontrolled aggression and violent behavior called "roid rage." They can cause men to develop enlarged breasts, shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, development of  acne and loss of hair. Other side effects or risks include increased cholesterol abnormality, high blood pressure and heart problems, liver problems, increased chances of infections including HIV if injections are used, suppression of hormone secretion from the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and can limit the natural development of the body.

Ritalin used for the treatment of ADHD, it has a calming and “focusing” effect on individuals with ADHD. Apart from the therapeutic effects, it has also been abused as a performance enhancing drug because the drug suppresses appetite (to facilitate weight loss), increase wakefulness, and increase focus and attention during performance. When this class of stimulant drug is used with anabolic steroids, they further act to enhance the performance, but the effects are short lived, for may be a year after which the body develops tolerance towards these drugs.  The use of these drugs has short term risks as well as some significant long term side effects, and also legal implications. Anabolic steroids abuse can result in irritability, manic episodes, uncontrolled aggression and violent behavior called "roid rage." They can cause men to develop enlarged breasts, shrinking of the testicles, reduced sperm count, infertility, development of  acne and loss of hair. Other side effects or risks include increased cholesterol abnormality, high blood pressure and heart problems, liver problems, increased chances of infections including HIV if injections are used, suppression of hormone secretion from the hypothalamo-pituitary-gonadal axis and can limit the natural development of the body.