Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > ADHD medications and dosages for 12 years of age

ADHD medications and dosages for 12 years of age

Patient: My grandson is 12 and is on med. For ADHD. He takes it when only when he is at school, and not on weekends, holidays etc….is that a normal way to prescribe for this?. I’m not sure what it is that he takes

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.Yes, this is the right way of taking the drugs . In-fact this is the way it should be done. The medicines for the ADHD are mostly stimulants. If taken daily the ADHD medicines may causes problem with the height growth. Hence, there should be “drug holidays” as they are called as.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!