ADHD Medicine (Ritalin) and Memory Loss

Patient

Q: Does methylphenidate hcl er 36mg and ritalin 5mg cause memory loss or memory retention, understanding and comprehension in children age 10?

Doctor

A:   Ritalin (methylphenidate) is an amphetamine-like prescription stimulant commonly used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in children and adults. Ongoing research shows early-life use of Ritalin (methylphenidate) has complex effects that endure later into life. Ritalin in young children may later disrupt development of brain cells in the hippocampus, region of the brain critical to memory, spatial navigation, and behaviorial inhibition. Damage can lead to memory problems, disorientation and depression in adulthood.