Administering Insulin Complications

Patient: I just gave my grandson his nightime humilin shot. He gets 10 units every night. While trying to administer it in the back of his hip he pulled away and the needle was just under the skin as I was pushing the plunger in leaving the insulin in what appeared to be a white “bump”. I’ll say it was the size of my pinky nail. It then turned into a little red bump that looked more like a bee sting. I was wondering if the insulin made it into his body. There was no leakage as far as I could tell on the outside and the area was dry. What do you think?

Doctor: Insulin is normally injected subcutaneously, which basically means into the fat layer under the skin. From your descript ion it sounds like the injection was not subcutaneous but instead into the top layers of the skin. It should be absorbed eventually, but it may take longer than the regular injection, with a variable effect. Therefore I advise checking the blood glucose more regularly than normal.