Adrenal adenoma - an incidental finding

Patient

Q: I went to the hospital because I crashed with my car , and they did a full scan to my body to see my chest and in the random finds , they say that I have this three things , 1.Spotted three nodules in the lower lobe,probably granuloma . 2.Incidentally bladder 1,5 cm diaphragmatic fate in the liver . 3.Adrenal adenoma 0.5cm . I did a small research in the web and I found out that this are common things and that it's nothing to be scared with. But I am really worried. I am 47 years old and was the first time that I did a CT . Can you please tell if I need to be worried for any of this ? Can I do something or take some treatment to smaller them ? And are they going to stay in this size or there going to grow ? Please if you know , tell me so I can stop worrying . Thanks in advanced .

Doctor

A:   Most adrenal masses are found incidentally by an imaging procedure performed for an unrelated medical issue. This is true in your case because the adrenal adenoma was found incidentally on CT scan after a motor vehicle accident. After discovering an adrenal adenoma it is important to investigate if the adrenal adenoma is hormonally active or there is any evidence of malignant disease. Hormonal activity can be measured by blood tests to check hormone levels and overnight dexamethasone suppression testing. If the adrenal adenoma is hormonally active, it may be removed by surgery. If there is evidence of malignancy, treatment is dependent on the tumour type and whether it originated in the adrenal gland, or spread to this gland from another organ. If no hormonal excess is found, and there is no evidence of malignancy, the adrenal adenoma may be followed up with serial CT scanning, but should be removed if the diameter is greater than 6cm. I would advise attending your family physician for hormonal blood tests and follow-up from the official CT report.