Adult diagnosis of milk allergy?

Patient : I have had stomach problems after eating for my entire life (I'm currently 24). I was never tested for food allergies before so I thought I would check it out. I went to an allergist who would not test me for a milk allergy because he says you are born with allergies and "would know" if you had one because the reaction would be so severe. He thinks I am lactose intolerant and suggested I try Lactaid. However, 30 minutes after drinking it I had diarrhea. Is it still possible for me to have a milk allergy (to whey or casein) and should I see another doctor?
Doctor :   This question is currently in queue and will be answered shortly by one of our doctors. In the meantime you may browse our library of answered questions by clicking here.

Related Q&A

Q: I was in vacation and 4 days into the trip I developed a itchy feeling all over my body. I have no bite marks however...

Q: I got a test ige immunoglobulin serum test . The value cams 520 ? What does this mean . I am a 30 years old mum .

Q: My friend took alegra and tussin and speed and now he says he is having a hard time breathing and stayingawake

Q: Hello, I had my nose pierced about 4 weeks ago. I thought I was starting to get an infection but it turned out to be...

Q: I really want a cat but suffer with allergies. Is there any way I can live with one and control the allergy


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon