x
74 Physicians Online

Question:

Advantage and disadvantages of anal sex

Dear Doc I've had anal sex for several times but mostly without any condoms(for first time sex and no vaginal sex yet) and for now I may have once a week...I heard about the cancer that I might get later or other kinds of diseases but I want to know about the disadvantages and diseases more detailed and whether I can still keep on having it or should I stop doing it anyway?And if I can have anal sex what are the Do's and Don't's? Thank you

Answer:

Personally, I think anal sex is too risky. The only advantage is not getting pregnant. The disadvantages are: rectal tears (which can be painful and makes it easier for infections to reach the bloodstream; this also facilitates transmission of STDs like HIV, HPV, Herpes, gonorrhoea, etc), allergic proctitis (inflamed rectum as a result of lubricants), some will have severe anal pain after sex, etc. Bear in mind that the anus is the passageway of stools; stools have billions of coliform bacteria and most, if not all of these kinds of bacteria, can potentially invade the bloodstream and cause serious, life-threatening infections (e.g. E. coli). To make myself clear, personally, I would never suggest or condone anal sex. There are too many disadvantages. If you really want to do it again and you think it is worth it (and I am saying this half-heartedly), apply lubricants before doing it and always use condoms.  Make sure the lubricant label says “condom compatible” because some lubricants can tear condoms. I do hope I have answered your question and take care always.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.