Advantages and disadvantages of coconut water

Patient

Q: I am drinking Codonut water daily evening at 5pm.I would like to know its advantages and does drinking coconut water adds body weight?

Doctor

A:   Thank you for your questions. Pure coconut water is a very healthy drink alternative. It contains many healthy minerals, electrolytes and medium chain fatty acids that are important to an optimally functioning body. Drinking pure coconut water is very low in calories and will not affect body weight. However, if you drink canned or bottled coconut water, these could contain increased amounts of sodium, sugar, and preservatives which can add to the amount of calories as well as take away from the overall nutritional advantages of this beverage. If you are choosing to drink bottled or canned coconut water, please make sure it is pasteurized to prevent the ingestion of any pathogens which could have contaminated the coconut water during processing. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com