Advice on alleviating UTI symptoms


Q: Hello Doctor, My wife is suffering from UTI since last night, we visited a GP this evening and he has prescribed Ditropan and Trimoptin, She had it an hour back but is still writhing in pain. She says that she has burning sensation in her genital area and excruciating pain in the lower abdomen, can we take a paracetamol now to alleviate this pain.

Symptoms:  Excruciating Pain in the pelvic area, burning sensation in the genital area

A:   Hello,
Thanks for the query to ATD for an opinion,

A UTI, if your wife is suffering with burning sensation while urination and excruciating pain and often increased frequency of urine, then Ditropan ( oxybutynin ) and Trim option ( trimethoprim) may not give her immediate relief at all. Infant ideally a urine culture should done to isolate the organism and antibiotic treatment should be based on it.
But considering that the UTI is most commonly seen in a sexually active woman following an E. COLI infection trimethoprim may work. however pain can be controlled by paracetamol 500mg 8 hrly till trimethoprim acts.

Secondly it is important to increase her water intake to allow early flushing out of the infection. If the symptoms are not relieved in 48 hrs, then a possible course of TAB NORFLOXACIN-TINIDAZOLE may have to be given for a period of 7 days covering blankly both gram positive , negative organisms and even the anaerobes, (available of prescription). So presently you may take paracetamol for pain relief.

I hope I have answered your query,
Feel free to discuss further,
Wishing her speedy recovery,

Related Q&A

Q: I have a headache for 6 days blood in urine and pain in abdomine had a stent put in panrease 2 years ago any ideas wh...

Q: For a while It constantly felt like I had to urinate but I never really had to, and it was painful to do so. When thi...

Q: I have urinary problems now for a few weeks (frequency, urgency, can't seem to empty bladder, and slight burning). I...

Q: Hello, I had protected sex about a week ago, and now I currently have slight redness/irritation at the tip of my p...

Q: Sir few drops of blood came after i urinate this happen from 15years every year some times now i am 37 years three mo...


Dr. James Obaji M.D.

  • 247 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Suneel Sharman M.D.

  • 190 Reviews
  • Family Physician

Dr. Pat Golden M.D.

  • 169 Reviews
  • Cardiologist

Dr. Kunaal Jindal M.D.

  • 112 Reviews
  • Plastic Surgeon