Advice on concussion and endep: is there a connection?

Patient

Q: Hi, I am a kickboxer who has come off a 3 year break due to health reasons. I have been on endep 50 amititrypiline for 3 years to treat chronic nausea. now i am back training I have been getting concussed and knocked out alot where I never used to before. so the question is - has the endep 50 made me more vulnerable to concussion ? thankyou, Greg

Doctor

A:     Endep ie Amityptaline is a tricyclic antidepressant and works by inhibiting serotonin and nor epinephrine re uptake ie it works at the chemical neurotransmitter level. Thus there is no way in which it can make you more susceptible or vulnberable to a concussion as a concussion usually occurs due to trauma or brain damage. I hope this helps.