Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Advice on Diabetic Medication

Advice on Diabetic Medication

Patient: I do take glucophange 1000mg in morning and same at night and daoni 5mg morning night and still test read 281 before this was 255 please what can i us to bring it back to nomal

Doctor: Since your sugar levels are not under control with metformin (glucophage) and daonil (oral sulphonylurea), you may requi re injectable insulin. Sometimes underlying factors can worsen glycemic control, these can include :i) Decreased compliance with diet, exercise, or the medical regimen or weight gain.ii) An underlying illness or an indigestion of the oral drugs.iii) Progression of the underlying disease process including insulin resistance and deficient insulin secretion causing type 2 diabetes.I would suggest that your father consult his doctor or preferably an endocrinologist/diabetologist to see whether insulin is warranted in his case. Insulin is a reasonable choice for initial therapy in patients who present with symptomatic or poorly controlled diabetes, and is the preferred second-line medication for patients with A1C >8.5 percent or with symptoms of hyperglycemia despite initial management with metformin and lifestyle interventions.