Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Advise needed for high fever due to strep throat

Advise needed for high fever due to strep throat

Patient: My son has been on Antibiotics (Twice a day) for 1 day for strep throat and has taken 3 doses and continues to have high fever of 103-104… The doctor recommended him to take Ibuprofen (600mg) twice a day as well. Should the dosage amount change instead to every 6 hrs?

Symptoms: Body Aches, tiredness, sensitive to light

Doctor: Thank you for the question,You need to discuss this with your Doctor. 600mg is a high dose. Twice a day seems okay. Do not change the dose without talking to your Doctor. Medications are given after an examination. Based on your son’s condition, the Doctor felt it apt to give 600 mg twice a day.You can get a second opinion from another Doctor by meeting them in person.I hope this will help you. Have a nice day.