Affect of cellcept on sperm and health of baby?

Patient: I just found out I am pregnant and my husband has been on cellcept for 1 year now. Could the sperm (because of the medication) effect the fetus? Is there a greater chance of miscarriage or deformities because he was on cellcept when we conceived?I am not on any medications or have any major medical problems.

Doctor: Thank you for your question. Mycophenolate mofetil (CellCept) is a transplant anti-rejection medication that is used in patients who have undergone various whole organ or bone transplant surgeries. This medication is contraindicated during pregnancy as it can cause congenital malformations or fetal death. However, in males, it is not associated with any severe form of infertility or spermatozoal mutations. As a result, the fetus may not be affected. Please be sure to attend all your obstetrician visits to monitor the progress of your pregnancy, and take your prenatal vitamins (especially folic acid) to prevent to prevent the development of congenital malformations.Thank you for choosing AskTheDoctor.com