After a bad fall knee pain more than a month later.

Patient

Q: On February 24, 2015 I tripped at a crack in the sidewalk coming up to my house and fell. I split a good portion of my head open on the edge of a limestone step. I also had a ligament (sp?) pull a piece of bone off of a bone in my left thumb...so I have a cast on. I went to the emergency room and they worked on me a good part of a day. Cauterized, stitched, 24 staples, and 2 drains in my head that day. They x-rayed every part of me that hurt, and did a CT scan of my head. I was not in any frame of mine to ask about much of anything. I am currently in between family doctors. Other parts that hurt (and were x-rayed), but they didn't do anything or say anything about are my right shoulder and both knees that are still bothering me to some extent. I am just going to address the knees with this question. They don't hurt nearly as bad as they did then, but they are still tender more than a month later. It also is too uncomfortable to kneel on either of them...more so the left knee. I can walk ok , but had been using a cane for a while to steady myself, but other wise walking is fine. The knee caps seem to be a little puffy at the top, and if I put pressure there...it hurts, but not really any where else on the knee cap. Is there anything that I can do to speed up healing? Or is this a sign of something more serious? Thank you!

Symptoms:  Pain and puffiness at the top portion of my knee caps.
Doctor

A:   Hello
Thank you for posting your query on ATD.

I have gone through your query and understand your concern. There seems to be soft tissue injury your knee. You will be benefitted by rest and Analgesic such as ibuprofen. You can exclude fracture by x-ray however you are unlikely to be fractured. quadriceps exercises are helpful . Hope your query got answered.

Wishing you a good health.
Take care.