After a car accident, I was diagnosed with a clay-shovelers

Patient

Q: After a car accident, I was diagnosed with a clay-shovelers fracture (C7) and put into a hard cervical collar. After a couple weeks, I followed up with a neurosurgeon and he wanted to keep me in the collar for a total of 8 weeks to be safe.

I'm 5 weeks in and have been pain free pretty much the entire time, but find my shoulders get sore fairly frequently. After the 8 weeks and I stop wearing the cervical collar, will I need physical therapy to strengthen my shoulder/neck muscles again? I'm sure my doctor will walk me through his plan during the follow-up, but I'm curious as to what is "normal" in this situation. Thanks!

Symptoms:  C7 Spinous Process Fracture
Doctor