After Prostate Surgery

Patient

Q: After prostate surgery I experience urine incontinence which I understand is normal. However, is it normal for urine through the surgical wound? What would cause that?

Doctor

A:   It is not normal for urine to come through the surgical wound following a prostatectomy. I suspect that you have developed a bladder fistula. This is an abnormal communication between the bladder and the skin. You will need to return to your surgeon to address this problem as another surgical procedure may be required to correct this complication.