After sitting down for a period of time when i

Q: After sitting down for a period of time when i try to get up i cant put any pressure to my left knee i have to slowly walk so i can get the pain to go away. it only last for maybe 2 minutes or less. i havet had any other problems like walking down stairs or running its only when i get up from my knee being bent?

Symptoms:  Pain in my knee when i get up to walk

A:   Welcome to Ask The Doctor. We are here to help you.

You might have developed Knee Osteoarthritis which is a wear and tear of the joints because of Excessive weight on weight bearing joints. This mostly occurs with advancing age, but these days it’s not uncommon to find it in young obese individuals.
I would advise you to get Hemogram, X-ray Knee Joint, Serum Calcium and Vitamin D levels, ESR, CRP
For osteoarthritis, I would advice to practice knee and quadriceps strengthening exercises and to do hot fomentation of the knee. You can apply diclofenac ointment locally. You can take Pain killers like Diclofenac only if the pain is severe and there are no contraindications for there use.
If you are overweight, you should also start working for weight loss. You should start exercising. Just avoid using treadmill. Cycling and swimming are wonderful options for you for weight reduction without damaging and stressing these joints.
No medicines are found to be very effective in helping to build the cartilage back. However, Chondroitan sulphate and Glucosamine can be used. However, have not shown any benefit in trials.
Share my opinion with your doctor before acting upon it.

I hope it helps.
Stay Healthy