x
151 Physicians Online

Question:

After Surgery for Twisted Intestines

My brother has just had major surgery for a twisted intestine which was obstructing his bowels. Can you tell me what this means, how much recovery time, and is there any special diet he needs to follow when he recovers.

Answer:

Twisted intestines is the layman term used to describe intestines that have abnormally rotated on themselves preventing the free passage of its contents. The medical term is Volvulus. Recovery time following surgery will depend on the type of procedure performed and portion of the intestines that was affected but should about 4-6 weeks. No specific changes need to be made to the diet when he recovers.

Have a Question? Ask The Doctor Here.

Sign In to join in the conversation.