Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > After taking the after morning pill for the first time

After taking the after morning pill for the first time

Patient: After taking the after morning pill for the first time my periods have been eregular. I’ve had 3 in the space of a month. I’ve taken a pregnancy test and it was negative.

Doctor: HiThank you for the question,Emergency contraception can change the length of your monthly menstrual cycle, makin g your next period come as much as a week earlier or a week later than usual. Some women also find that the hormones in the pills can cause unexpected bleeding, but this is not a common or serious side effect. It takes time for your cycle to become normal. If your next period is late, you might consider getting a pregnancy test.I hope this will help you. Take care.