After taking the after morning pill for the first time

Patient

Q: After taking the after morning pill for the first time my periods have been eregular. I've had 3 in the space of a month. I've taken a pregnancy test and it was negative.

Doctor

A:   Hi
Thank you for the question,

Emergency contraception can change the length of your monthly menstrual cycle, making your next period come as much as a week earlier or a week later than usual. Some women also find that the hormones in the pills can cause unexpected bleeding, but this is not a common or serious side effect. It takes time for your cycle to become normal. If your next period is late, you might consider getting a pregnancy test.

I hope this will help you. Take care.