Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > After using a jackhammer on the 16th the area between

After using a jackhammer on the 16th the area between

Patient: After using a jackhammer on the 16th the area between my thumb and pointer finger is rather sore and hurts when I try to do everyday tasks. Also it is slightly swollen. Just wanna make sure that it just needs time to heal. Thank you

Doctor: Thank you for writing to us.You can try using RICE to help you. RICE stands for Rest, Ice, Compression and Elevation . It is used to help reduce the swelling in parts of the body.Rest the are that is affected by not using the muscle or my not exercising itIce the are for 15 mins at a time every hour to help you reduce the swellingCompression is a way to reduce swelling by using a finger sleeve and crepe bandageElevate the hand by using 2 pillows to reduce the swelling by allow blood to return to the heartHope this helps you. All the best.