Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Airline Travel During Pregnancy

Airline Travel During Pregnancy

Patient: Is there a problem with travelling by airplane while pregnant? I am approximately 8 weeks pregnant and would like to take a short (1 1/2 hour) flight.

Doctor: This is a common question and concern during pregnancy.  I advise all my patients that there are no medical travel restr rictions during a routine pregnancy.  It depends largely on your comfort level. If you size and symptoms allow you to travel, please do so. On longer flights, we recommend getting up and walking around to promote circulation.Some airline do not allow women over 8 month pregnant to travel but this is because of their insurance concerns and not necessarily a medical limitation.Enjoy your travels.