Alcohol and Amoxicilin

Patient

Q: Hi, i am on amoxicilin and i am on it for a virus. I take it two times a day for 10 days. Will i be able to consume alcohol while these ten days?

Symptoms:  Coughing, headache, sore throat
Doctor

A:   Thank you for contacting Ask the doctor.
Amoxicillin is an antibiotic and works on bacterial infections. It has no effect on Viral infections. Viral causes of Cold & cough are best managed with warm saline gargles, rest and steam therapies. headaches could be managed with simple NSAIDs. If you have been prescribed amox by a physician, you may be suffering from a bacterial infection, if not then i recommend you immediately stop the medication and visit a physician. self medications are extremely harmful and should not be encouraged.
Alcohol consumption with amoxcillin does not usually cause interactions. Amoxcillin is a strong antibiotic and usually is given for massive infections requiring rest and loads of fluid consumption. alcohol is a dehydrating agent and leads to loss of fluids from the body, it can also lead to over exertion and hence is best if avoided during infections.
I hope this information was useful.