Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alcohol and Amoxicilin

Alcohol and Amoxicilin

Patient: Hi, i am on amoxicilin and i am on it for a virus. I take it two times a day for 10 days. Will i be able to consume alcohol while these ten days?

Symptoms: Coughing, headache, sore throat

Doctor: Thank you for contacting Ask the doctor.Amoxicillin is an antibiotic and works on bacterial infections. It has no eff ect on Viral infections. Viral causes of Cold & cough are best managed with warm saline gargles, rest and steam therapies. headaches could be managed with simple NSAIDs. If you have been prescribed amox by a physician, you may be suffering from a bacterial infection, if not then i recommend you immediately stop the medication and visit a physician. self medications are extremely harmful and should not be encouraged.Alcohol consumption with amoxcillin does not usually cause interactions. Amoxcillin is a strong antibiotic and usually is given for massive infections requiring rest and loads of fluid consumption. alcohol is a dehydrating agent and leads to loss of fluids from the body, it can also lead to over exertion and hence is best if avoided during infections.I hope this information was useful.