Alcohol and pregnancy

Patient

Q: Hello Doctor, i have a serious problem, i have being drinking alcohol when i am pregnant and now am 8months pregnant, i have just learnt that am going 2 bleed alot and my baby might not be safe. please doctor wat can i do to be safe with my baby. am so scared. thanx

Symptoms:  Alcohol drinking problem while pregnant
Doctor

A:   Hi welcome to Ask The Doctor,

If you drink alcohol during the last six months of your pregnancy, you should have no more than one or two units, once or twice a week. You shouldn't drink enough to feel drunk. Heavy, regular or binge drinking is dangerous for your baby. A heavy drinker is someone who is regularly drinking six or more units of alcohol a day, but rarely feels drunk.

Alcohol is a toxin. When you drink alcohol, it rapidly reaches your baby through the placenta, via your bloodstream. Heavy, regular or binge drinking can cause miscarriage and premature birth. Too much alcohol can even increase the risk of your baby being stillborn. If you drink too much alcohol during pregnancy, it can permanently damage your developing baby's cells. This could affect how your baby's face, organs and brain grow. If you're finding it hard to cut down on your own, or think you might have a drinking problem, your Doctor. They won't judge you. It's their job to help you to have a healthy pregnancy. Asking for help just shows how much you care about your baby. Ideally, you should not drink at all during pregnancy.

Wish you a safe pregnancy. All the best.