Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alcohol and xanix how long apart

Alcohol and xanix how long apart

Patient: I take .25 mg xanix for anxiety – have been taking the xanix for approximately 30 days straight – just the one .25 dose at different times of the day never moew than one within a day. Anyway, I took a xanix approximately 48 hours ago and plan on going out to dinner tonight is it safe for me to have a couple glasses of wine? 5’1″ 143 LBS. Also, if I do have a couple glasses of wine or beer tonight how long should I wait to take another xanix

Doctor: Hello,Thanks for choosing “Ask The Doctor” for posting your query.The xanix in the dose of 0.25mg is a sma ll dose and is mostly safe to be taken. However the problem with xanax is that people who have abuse potential tend to increase the doses gradually by self and then comes an issue of mis-use. More-so the treatment of anxiety disorder by xanax is not a right approach as xanax only treats the symptoms superficially. Ideally we need to treat the underlying anxiety disorder and some of the good medicines for the same are paroxetine, venlafaxine or escitalopram. These need to be given along with xanax initially and then gradually xanax can be withdrawn.Also if you are averse to taking medicines, then there is an option of cognitive behavioural therapy. Cognitive behavioural therapy is a specialized counselling therapy. This involves detailed assessment of the thought process of the person and identifies all the cognitive distortions which are leading to depression. These cognitive distortions are then modified leading to a tremendous change in the way a person thinks. Ones a thought process is altered, it leads to a change in the way a person feels or behaves. Its supposed to be as effective as medicines and can be used for anxiey.Coming to your question proper, ideally one is not supposed to take alcohol over xanax, but the dose you are on is very small and you can alcohol over xanax. But make sure that the amount of alcohol is less than what you generally have as it may get augmented with xanax.Hope I am able to answer your concerns.Wish you good health!