October 18, 2018

Alcohol intake and effects

Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alcohol intake and effects

Patient: I just had a health check which was fine – including liver function. But for my waistline, my doctor suggested I drink less beer and more red wine. And she also said spirits were bad (for people in general not just me). Are spirits always worse than wine – even if you use no sugar mixers? (Assuming you drink the equivalent alcohol?)

Doctor: There is a limit to alcohol consumption upto which it is considered safe. This is usually less than 2 drinks per day and less than 14 drinks per week for males. Moreover this also depends on what kind of spirit you are consuming. Wine is considered cardio protective if had within limits and thus is much better than other drinks like beer , whisky, vodka etc.

Was this answer helpful?
Yes
No