Alcohol intolerance?

Q: Recently when I drink even small quantities of alcohol I become very nauseous and end up vomiting for hour. Though I have always been sensitive to alcohol it has been happening more and more often, can you tell me why this is happening?

Symptoms:  Nausea, vomiting

A:   Thank you for your question. Alcohol is a toxic substance and the sensation of stupor, inebriation, and nausea that is felt when is due to a toxic metabolite called acetealdehyde that is produced when alcohol is metabolized by the liver. This is performed by a specific enzyme found within the body. In some persons, the build up of acetaldehyde may lead to more severe symptoms than others. This is what is commonly referred to as a 'low tolerance'. You may naturally have a low tolerance for alcohol which is becoming worse was you get older. This is not indicative of any serious illness, but it may point to the fact that you may be best served by abstaining from drinking alcohol or by further limiting your alcohol intake. Please be guided accordingly.

Thank you for consulting