Ask The Doctor > Questions & Answers > Alesse Birth Control Side Effects?

Alesse Birth Control Side Effects?

Patient: I recently started taking Alesse (I just took the first inactive pill yesterday) and I’ve noticed that I’ve been getting dizzy frequently and that my heart has been beating irregularly and it’s sometimes hard to catch my breath. I know that the dizziness can be a normal side effect, but I was wondering about the rest. Is it normal or should I contact my doctor?

Doctor: This is definitely not normal and i would discontinue taking this drug immediately. You should definitely make an appoin tment with your doctor right away and let him/her know what is going on. These side effects can lead to serious problems if you don’t seek medical attention right away. Hope this helps.