Allergic reaction

Patient

Q: My friend is having an allergic reaction from using a latex condom, he is feeling symptoms of a burning sensation and itching at his penis area. What can he used to relieve the pain?

Doctor

A:   The best advice in terms of latex allergies is avoidance. Non severe latex allergy like itching and burning can be treated with antihistamine medications like benadryl etc. and steriod cream for topical application. However your friend needs to exercise caution because severe allergic reactions like anaphylaxis may occur with latex allergy, and so he needs to avoid any contact with latex. He may consult his GP and may be advised to carry an epinephrine auto-injection kit and wear Medic-Alert identification, in case of an emergency.