Allergic reaction but to what?

Patient: Hey,I woke up with a swollen face and it’s numb near my cheeks and lips on the left side. It’s not painful though.I never used to be allergic to anything so I don’t understand how all of a sudden this has developed in the last two months or so. I also have swelts like red itchy spots sometimes on my body.

Symptoms: Itchy, spots, swelling

Doctor: Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.As per details, the most likely possibility for your symptoms is a condition of th e skin called Angioedema.It is the induration of the skin involving epidermis with deeper layers also including subcutaneous tissue.It may be because of following reasons:1)C1 esterase inhibitor deficiency: has genetic predisposition2)Infection: like upper respiratory tract infection, gastrointestinal infection, urinary tract infection3)Drugs like Antibiotics, painkillers, niacin etc4) Hormonal disturbances5)Idiopathic: no known causeI will advise you to get following investigations:1 ) Serum C1 Esterase inhibitor levels2) Serum insulin3)IgE levelsVisit your doctor so that he can examine you and order tests for you.In such cases, till reports I prefer to advise combination of Levocetirizine and montelukast to my patients.You can share my opinion with him.I hope it helps.Take care