Allergic reaction but to what?

Patient

Q: Hey,
I woke up with a swollen face and it's numb near my cheeks and lips on the left side. It's not painful though.

I never used to be allergic to anything so I don't understand how all of a sudden this has developed in the last two months or so. I also have swelts like red itchy spots sometimes on my body.

Symptoms:  Itchy, spots, swelling
Doctor

A:   Hello. Welcome to ask the doctor.

As per details, the most likely possibility for your symptoms is a condition of the skin called Angioedema.
It is the induration of the skin involving epidermis with deeper layers also including subcutaneous tissue.
It may be because of following reasons:
1)C1 esterase inhibitor deficiency: has genetic predisposition
2)Infection: like upper respiratory tract infection, gastrointestinal infection, urinary tract infection
3)Drugs like Antibiotics, painkillers, niacin etc
4) Hormonal disturbances
5)Idiopathic: no known cause

I will advise you to get following investigations:
1 ) Serum C1 Esterase inhibitor levels
2) Serum insulin
3)IgE levels
Visit your doctor so that he can examine you and order tests for you.
In such cases, till reports I prefer to advise combination of Levocetirizine and montelukast to my patients.
You can share my opinion with him.

I hope it helps.
Take care