Allergic reaction to Cefuroxime

Patient

Q: I am on Cefuroxime to treat lymes disease and I first had a allergic reaction to azithromyicn so I had to Change antibiotics. Now I am having the same symptoms as before. What's cause me to keep reacting

Symptoms:  Itchy skin, rash, headache
Doctor

A:   Antibiotics used in Lymes disease may induce photosensitivity (skin reaction on exposure to sunlight). In addition, Cefuroxime may cause allergic reaction in some individuals. Lymes disease per se, may have skin manifestation in the form of a spreading skin rash. It is important that you consult a Dermatologist to confirm the diagnosis and take advice regarding further management.